How to Create and Run Paychecks in QuickBooks
In this tutorial, we will learn to create and run paychecks using various options available in Desktop QuickBooks.
Step by Step Process to create paychecks:
Go to Employees > Pay Employees.
Choose the option that is required.
You have the following options:
- Scheduled Payroll: You will be navigated to the Payroll Center andPay Employee tab.
- Go to the Create Paychecks section, Select the appropriate schedule.
- Select Start Schedule Payroll button. TheEnter Payroll Information window will get opened.
Unscheduled Payroll: You will be navigated directly to Enter Payroll information Window.
- Termination Check: You will be navigated to the Enter Payroll information window
- Read Termination paycheck or create a termination paycheck or processing a late payroll for steps to run.
Check the Pay Period Ends date, Check Date and Bank Account from which the Money is drawn.
Select the Option required for printing.
For Check Options:
- Select Print paychecks on check stock to queue paychecks for printing from Desktop QuickBooks.
- Select Handwrite & assign check numbers if paychecks are written by hand.
- Enter a First Check#. When you enter a check number, the number gets increased by 1 for each subsequent check written from the account specified in the Bank Account field.
For Direct Deposit Options:
- Select Print DD on check stock to queue direct deposit advice of deposits for printing from QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select Assign DD numbers to prohibit direct deposits from being placed in the check-printing queue. You can print pay stubs for your direct deposits.
- You can also indicate an alphanumeric starting number, which will get increased and printed on direct deposit pay stubs.
Select the employee’s name that has to be paid.
- Input or check the appropriate columns of the employee’s amounts.
- To edit employee paycheck information for one paycheck only, select the employee’s name to access the Paycheck Details.
- This can be done to add payroll items on a temporary basis or to alter amounts before the paycheck has been created.
- If the employee uses Direct Deposit, certify that the Use Direct Deposit box is selected.
- Mark the box to Do Not Accrue Sick/Vicki you do not require vacation and sick to accrue on this specific paycheck
Select Save & Next button to move to the next employee, or Select Save & Close to Navigate back to the Enter Payroll Information window.
Click Continue when the checks are ready to be created.
Go to the Reviewand Create Paychecks window, to review the Paycheck Options:
- Print paychecks from QuickBooks to enable the QuickBooks Desktop to print the paychecks.
- Check step 4
If you use direct deposit to pay your employees, let the First Check Number field remain blank. This field can be used to enter a text memo (for example, DD), limited to 11 alphanumeric characters, which will print out on your employees’ pay stubs. If you use direct deposit, but you want to print out on advices of deposit, click Print paychecks from QuickBooks.
In the Review and Create Paychecks window, check the amounts for each employee and click Create Paychecks.
Print the paychecks or pay stubs, if required.
In case of QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted or direct deposit paychecks, you need to send your payroll information and direct deposit paychecks to Intuit.
Start Free Dedicated Quickbooks Hosting Trial