Site Columns in SharePoint 2013 – An Overview
Site columns get stored in each site’s central gallery. Any list/library can use these sharepoint 2013 site columns either on same site or a site below it.
- These provide standardization besides ease of use especially when you are willing to share crucial information across a range of lists, libraries, or SharePoint sites.
- Moreover, site columns are quite important in content types. Content types are created & stored in central gallery and hence all related components need to be centralized as well. Hence, you can associate site columns only with a content type.
Points to Remember while working with Site Columns
- When defining a content type metadata, you can go to Content Type Settings page and either use already existing site columns or else you can also create new site columns. On using existing site columns, redirection to site column selection page will occur.
- By making use of Group Selection drop-down, it becomes possible to filter the site columns list to a much better manageable size.
- Once you select required site columns, you need to click Add button in order to move the columns from left-hand list box to right-hand one.
- You can also remove an accidentally added item. For this, select the item from the box given on the right then click the Remove button.