App Deployment Models in SharePoint
Two typical App Deployment Models in SharePoint include –
- Autohosted deployment
- SharePoint hosted deployment
The SharePoint-hosted deployment represents an effective way to deploy client-facing, lightweight apps to SharePoint. The simplest way to think about SharePoint-hosted App is to think about an application having no server-side code.
Some of the key features of this deployment are –
- When users access SharePoint-hosted App, they get redirected to the page containing your application.
- This deployment type is excellent for lighter-weight Apps like branded list views, weather apps and media apps.
- If you want to leverage SharePoint-hosted deployment model, you are confined to the code that doesn’t run on the server.
This deployment model is a departure from earlier SharePoint applications. In this, you do build Apps for SharePoint. However, the code is deployed seamlessly to Windows Azure in background and so SharePoint creates the cloud-hosted app automatically for you.
Following are its important features –
- It appears to running on SharePoint. However, in the background, it is deployed to some special Office 365 Azure instance. The same is registered as an authenticated & authorized App with SharePoint.
- You may not have full access to the complete platform capabilities of Windows Azure with this Autohosted deployment model. However, you do have ample of the platform for building some interesting applications.