Timeout Errors In PERC H730 With ESXi 5.5 and 6.0 Configured For VSAN
While you interact with PERC H730 controller, you may expose to the following error scenarios:
- At the VMware vCenter Server event log, the shown below error message will be displayed:
IO aborted by VMFS via virt-reset on device
- Whenever the VSAN is under IO load, you will find the following similar VSAN status displaying VSAN disk(s) unhealthy:
- High IO latency alarms
- IO Failed and controller reset messages will be displayed in the ESXi logs similar to these as follows:
WARNING: lsi_mr3: fusionReset:2565: megaraid_sas: Hardware critical error, returning FAILED.
WARNING: ScsiPath: 7133: Set retry timeout for failed TaskMgmt abort for CmdSN 0x0, status Failure, path vmhba0:C0:T0:L0
VMware and Dell have determined the main reasons of this problem. The solution includes firmware and software alterations which have been noticed to either dramatically reducing the issue frequency or disappearing entirely.
To solve this issue of VMware ESXi 5.x and 6.0 hosts, first, just ensure that the right driver and firmware versions are installed as per VMware VSAN HCL (refer). These are:
Driver: megaraid_perc9 version 6.902.73.00-1OEM
Controller firmware: 25.3.0.0016
Driver: lsi-mr3 version 6.606.12.00-1OEM
Controller firmware: 25.3.0.0016
The proposed solution includes 3 sections :
- Identify the right driver for the PERC H730 controller which you are using from the VMware Hardware Compatibility List for VSAN, then download it from the host. Unzip this file to acquire the offline-bundle.zip file, which is needed to execute the next step.
- Now Run this respective command to setup the latest megaraid_sas or megaraid_perc9 driver using the offline bundle (it needs an absolute path):
- esxcli software vib install –d /absolute_path/offline-bundle.zip
- under ESXi 5.5, which do NOT use lsi_mr3 driver, execute this command for disabling the driver:
- esxcli system module set –enabled=false –module=lsi_mr3
- Restart/Reboot the host to implement the changes effectively.
- Examine the driver in use, also, ensure that it is the right compatible driver installed above. To notice which driver is in current use, type this command:
Note: Implementing patches on the host later may the module setting done in step 3, resulting in the wrong driver to become enabled and re-used again. Upgradations & Patches should be followed by rechecking the module setting, which is again be followed by disabling the native driver, then reinstalling the correct driver ( if require).
Setup & Install the modestly latest storage backplane firmware available from Dell. For instance, for R730 server platform these are the following drivers:
- Expander storage backplane: firmware version 3.03
- Non-expander storage backplane: firmware version 2.23
Ensure that all the drives are Dell Supported drives which can be validated from VSAN running the latest firmware. More information can be fetched from VMWare site on the following link :
Brief suggestions content material is self-posted with the aid of the Techarex Networks guides who remedy issues every day. Therefore, one can obtain brief tips and solutions by contacting our support team.
- QuickBooks2016.07.01QuickBooks 2016 : How to Select the Industry Type and Accounts
- Microsoft Sharepoint2016.06.30Microsoft’s SharePoint 2016: Awesome New Features Added For It’s Users
- QuickBooks2016.06.27How To Search and Edit Customers Records In QuickBooks 2016
- Microsoft Sharepoint2016.06.22Microsoft Announces Release Of iOS App For SharePoint