How to Troubleshooting WSUS 3.0 SP2 On Windows Server
WSUS set-up forms mainly of four log files that can aid you in identifying complications with setup. These log files are found in the %temp%folder of the user who set-up the WSUS software. The status of each of these factor installations that are completed during WSUS setup is logged to this file. You can check WSUSSetup.log to see whether any of these factor installations failed or not. If you see a failure, check the resultant log to understand what went incorrect during the installation of that component. On the other hand, WSUSSetupMsi_timestamp.log log file is created by MSI for WSUS component setup. Before it raises custom or standard actions, Windows Installer logs that information to this file. The profit values from the custom actions are also logged in this file.
Additionally, WSUSCa_timestamp.log log file is used by custom actions. Mistakes that occurred while performing any custom actions in WSUS component or BITS setup are logged in this file. WSUSWyukonSetup_timestamp.log is the log file for Windows Internal Database setup. All Windows Internal Database installation and uninstallation information is logged in this file. Apart from these log files, there are 2 more log files that are certainly significant. These log files are located in WSUSInstallationdrive\LogFiles\. When any modification is done to the WSUS server, the modifications are logged in Change.log. It also offers information about the WSUS server database information that has transformed. The other one is SoftwareDistribution.log which offers information about the software updates that are coordinated from the configured update source to the WSUS server database. Microsoft has released an update KB2734608 for WSUS 3.0 SP2 which permits servers that are functioning Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) 3.0 SP2 deliver updates to computers that are running Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012. Common issues related to WSUS 3.0 troubleshoot are:
- If the WSUS client computers are not installing updates, then check the DCOM configuration. On the client machine, click on Start, Run, type dcomcnfg. Post this Component Services window will be displayed. In the left pane under Console Root, expand Component Services, expand Compoters, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. Click the Default Properties tab. Ensure that Enable Distributed COM on this computer is already chosen and Default Impersonation Level is set to Classify.
- If you have configured client computers for a particular WSUS server, but they have not reported over a period of days, use a specific process to segregate and repair this issue.
Follow the process given below to rectify the above mentioned issue:
- First check the connection between the client computer and WSUS server. You can use the ping utility to check its connection.
- Contact the WSUS HTTP server by offering the servername:port number. Open the Internet Explorer and type http://wsusservername:portnumber. You must see the IIS version on the page.
- Confirm the presence of the self-update graphic. In an Internet Explorer address bar, type: http://WSUSServerName/selfupdate/wuident.cab. If the WSUS server is working appropriately, you should see a File Download window that asks you whether to open or save the file.
- On the client computer, run the command prompt as administrator, type the following registry query – reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate.
- If you are unable to find the above mentioned outcome or if the query returns the error, it means the system was not able to find the stated registry key or value and the automatic update has not been configured on this computer.
- You can try resetting the automatic update client on the client machine. Open the command prompt on the client machine, type the command – wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow. Wait for 10 minutes for recognition cycle to complete.
- QuickBooks2016.07.01QuickBooks 2016 : How to Select the Industry Type and Accounts
- Microsoft Sharepoint2016.06.30Microsoft’s SharePoint 2016: Awesome New Features Added For It’s Users
- QuickBooks2016.06.27How To Search and Edit Customers Records In QuickBooks 2016
- Microsoft Sharepoint2016.06.22Microsoft Announces Release Of iOS App For SharePoint