The Release of QuickBooks 2017 Desktop – What you should Expect?
QuickBooks 2017 for desktop release is almost here! In this release of 25th version of QuickBooks, Intuit has included few new features besides making improvements in the existing features. In this blog post, we will cover some of the major improvements that have been done.
It must be noted here that, availability of QuickBooks Accountant may be made very soon to the ProAdvisor program members in US. The general release though for others will happen around September 22 this year.
We will be taking into account the US version of QuickBooks 2017 and accordingly its features. We still have to get a confirmation from Intuit’s end when exactly these features will be made available in the UK and Canadian versions of QuickBooks.
All the New Features Available in QuickBooks 2017 at a Glance
Following are the new/updated features available in all versions of QuickBooks 2017 including Pro, Premier, Accountant, and Enterprise for Windows –
It enables you to set up schedule for reports. With this, you get the ability to automate sending reports via email at scheduled times.
Locating and accordingly accessing the required information quickly & efficiently can be vital in case your QuickBooks file holds large amount of information. QuickBooks 2017 comes with several search & filter improvements that should help you in this task for sure.
Report Customization Improvements
Now, with QuickBooks 2017, you will be able to do following –
● View & print information about all filters that have been included in a report
● Make multiple-record filter selections with ease
Intuit has entirely changed the components that the program makes use of for purpose of improving security.
Intuit has also fixed few other security-related issues as well to strengthen the security aspect related with the accounting software.
Besides the major improvements discussed above, a number of smaller improvements have also been done in QuickBooks 2017.
Some of these miscellaneous improvements may prove to be significant depending on your specific situation.
Following are the miscellaneous improvements at a glance –
● The Record Deposits icon will now show the total number of deposits available.
● It will be possible to copy/paste detail lines on your weekly timesheets.
● On switching from multi-user mode to the single user mode, you will now get improved notifications
● Multi-user mode now provides access to more features
● A Cleared flag will be shown on credit card charges that have been cleared
● In case a user gets deleted, the user’s name will still be displayed on the audit trail
● The deposit summary will have your company name printed
● High resolution monitors will be supported
● A number of miscellaneous quality improvements pertaining to QuickBooks Enterprise have been done.
Irrespective of all these changes, it has been confirmed by Intuit that QuickBooks desktop pricing will remain unchanged.
Hopefully, the new QuickBooks 2017 will prove to be more robust and efficient for CPAs and accountants with all these minor and major improvements.
How to Get Started with Scheduled Reports?
QuickBooks 2017 Scheduled Reports seems to be the biggest new feature introduced in QuickBooks desktop this year. This will definitely save a lot of time for some businesses. However, as there are several restrictions & requirements in this release, it may not prove to be a quite simple function to work with.
Let’s take an in-depth look into this new feature.
QuickBooks 2017 Scheduled Reports – Getting Started
With QuickBooks 2017 Scheduled Reports, you get to do following –
- Set up a specific schedule for reports
- Get reports automatically sent to an email message at the time scheduled. The reports are sent in the form of password-protected PDF.
Depending on your requirement, you may have to send a sales report to your sales staff or possibly a weekly financial report to your boss. Possibly, there may be a requirement of sending monthly financial statements to your clients too.
Desired Settings and Preferences…
Before proceeding to create a schedule, always ensure that following settings & preferences are set up properly –
- Ensure that your Send Forms preferences are set up. This allows QuickBooks to know exactly the email account to use for purpose of sending emails. In case, you lack this set up, you will be prompted to set it up for the first time when you go for setting up a schedule.
- Ensure that the option “Keep QuickBooks running for quick startups” is un-checked in your General preferences. In case, this option is enabled, you may not be able to create a schedule. Moreover, problems with add-on programs may be encountered if this option is enabled. So, it’s highly recommended to simply turn this feature off.
- Ensure that you run in Single user mode.
Additionally, when you are creating a schedule or editing it, ensure doing following –
- Right-click QuickBooks icon and start QuickBooks
- Select “Run as Administrator”
In case, you skip these steps, an error message will be displayed while trying to save a newly created schedule.