How to Install Multiple Versions of QuickBooks Desktop on One Computer
A version is the numeric notation of the release of a product. For example, QuickBooks 2017 and Enterprise 17.0. And, an edition refers to the set of features that are included in a particular product, for example, Pro, Premier, and Enterprise. And, the set of sub-features of a specific industry in a product is known as the flavor; for example Contractor’s, Retail, and Non-Profit. A region refers to a specific location where the product was designed, like US, UK, and Canada.
Note the following prior to attempting multiple product installations:
• The multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop can reside on the same computer.
• Only one flavor can install per Premier or Enterprise version of QuickBooks Desktop.
Note: The Accountant desktop Edition is considered as a flavor of Premier desktop. The Accountant Edition can also switch to any other flavor of Desktop Premier or Pro.
• QuickBooks Pro and Premier both the editions can use the same installation files and folders. Therefore, you can not have Pro and Premier of the same version installed on the same system. (Instead of the Enterprise).
• The multiple regions of a QuickBooks Desktop should not be installed on the same computer.
(It is recommended to use a virtual machine or web hosting service to the house an environment for each region of QuickBooks desktop you want to run, instead of your own region).
• The multiple versions such as QuickBooks Desktop 2016 & 2017 can be used at the same time. If you are working in Premier 2017 and want to open Premier 2016, so you don’t need to close Premier 2017.
• Only one QuickBooks edition can be used at one time (such as QuickBooks Premier & Enterprise). When you work in Premier 2017 and want to open Enterprise 17.0, so you have to close Premier before open Enterprise.
• The data files can’t be shared between Enterprise Solutions and the other QuickBooks Desktop versions (or between different years). For example:-
1. If you generally use Premier and want to try Enterprise Solutions, then opening the Premier data file in Enterprise will update the data file irreversibly. In that case, it can no be used by Premier. If you want to try a different edition, then open a sample file in the edition you want, instead of opening the company file.
2. If you open a data file of Premier 2016 in Premier 2017, then QuickBooks will update the data file so that it can’t be used in Premier 2016.
• The steps to install the manual update are different. When you update QuickBooks using a manual update, then you will be prompted to choose which edition to update when more than one edition installed.
Steps to fix the issue
To install more than one QuickBooks version on one computer by using different folders of installation:-
Step 1: Launch QuickBooks Desktop downloaded version.
Step 2: Change the location of installation:-
1. Click on Custom and Network Options and then click on Next.
2. Now select the installation option you prefer and then click on Next.
3. Select the first option to Change the install location when the Upgrade or Change Installation Location window appears.
4. (This is Optional) If you want to select a different installation folder manually, the click on the Browse or Change button.
Step 4: Now click on Next to continue and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
Step 5: To open that version, use the desktop shortcut of QuickBooks desktop created for the version you’ve installed.
That’s how you can install multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop on a single computer.