A Guide For Upgrading QuickBooks Desktop Pro To Premier
We all know that QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise is one of the most robust software applications. Its installation involves a number of variables. In order to make sure that your Enterprise installation goes smoothly, you will require a complete knowledge of the following:-
- File sharing
First of all, you have to prep and test your network.
What You’ll Be Required Before Starting?
Only two types of people are required to assist with the installation and setup of your new software:-
- System or network administrator who understands about networking, file-sharing and has permissions to install and configure your Enterprise software easily and efficiently.
- A financial professional or an office manager who is well understood by the company’s financial needs, able to set up a company file, he should know which users should access the company file, and he also knows what areas of QuickBooks users will need to access.
If you don’t have the resources on your premises, or if you need assistance regarding the installation, then you can opt for an authorized ProAdvisor or Intuit Premier Reseller. These are the Intuit partners and professionals who are proficient with the Intuit software application.
Take Back Up Of Your Previous Accounting System
You should back up all of your financial records from your previous accounting system prior to installing the Enterprise software.
Note: The IRS needs you to keep this information for several years.
You should also keep your hardware and software from your previous accounting system, should have printouts of all the relevant information and the accounting reports.
Select An Option For Your Networking Set-Up
Your network can be set up with one of the three ways. The following three options that illustrate different network configuration, workstations, and servers with different installation processes. You can choose the option that fits best for your company.
1)Central Server Option
The QuickBooks Database Manager is installed on a centralized server and it also stores the company file. Enterprise program is installed on each workstation and these workstations can access the company file from the network.
One workstation stores the company file, and the others can access the company file over the network. All the workstations have Enterprise program installed.
3)Remote Desktop Service Option
The QuickBooks Enterprise program is installed on a robust central server which also keeps the company file. The workstations do not have Enterprise program installed. Instead of that, by using Remote Desktop Services, they can access the program and the company file which is on the server. The quite same thing goes with QuickBooks hosting.
(Optional) You can store your QuickBooks company file on the Linux server and use Enterprise program, which is running on your Windows desktop client, to access that particular data. More details on Linux installations of Enterprise program is available.
Test Your Network Bandwidth
Note: Testing of network bandwidth is required for a multi-user domain. But, for a single workstation installation where no file-sharing is required, then there testing is not necessary.
In order to make sure that your network connection is fast enough to run Enterprise program, you need to perform the following procedure on each system on which the software will be installed:-
- Choose a large file for testing and don’t use your company file (.qbw) for this process.
- Note your test file size in MB (megabytes).
- Now, copy your test file from a network location to the computer and then note the time it takes to copy.
- Perform the following calculation to determine the network bandwidth:-
- File size × 8 divided by the copy time
- For example, 150 MB × 8 ÷ 25 seconds = 48 MB/sec
If your bandwidth is 40 Mbps or more, then your connection is configured for the best performance. But, if it is less than 40 Mbps, then your connection will be too slow to run the program. You can contact your network administrator to learn about improving your network speed.
Check You Firewall and AV Settings
If your firewall software is running during the QuickBooks installation, then you may be prompted to allow different QuickBooks components to have the access to the network. These components need to be allowed for QuickBooks to operate correctly, especially in a multi-user domain.
For more detailed information regarding properly configuring firewall settings for QuickBooks installation, then you can visit the QuickBooks Support Center.
Here you can also download the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool or you can see how to manually configure exceptions and ports that are required for your firewall software.
- Angeela is Techarex Networks' Content Marketing Associate for Intuit products. She has worked as an eCommerce and Marketing Strategist for the last five years, helping businesses with software implementation for Customer Service, CRM and Email Marketing. Angeela thrives in helping companies find the right software solution for their projects. Aside from his obvious passion for Marketing, Angella admits to being a foodie and travel enthusiast.