Building a SharePoint Farm – Analyzing the Crucial Aspects Involved
It must be noted that your valiant attempt of building a SharePoint farm will be successful only if you have all hardware and software requirements well in place. In this blog, we will take a closer look into all such requirements.
Basic and High-availability SharePoint farm
It’s also pretty much feasible to create pre-configured MS SharePoint Server 2013 farms with the help of Microsoft Azure portal marketplace. This will effectively meet your requirement of –
- High-availability SharePoint farm for providing development and testing environment
- Evaluating SharePoint Server 2013 in form of a collaboration solution
A basic SharePoint farm will have the following configuration with three virtual machines in place –
Such farm configuration will effectively provide a simplified setup for MS SharePoint app development
Moreover, a high-availability SharePoint farm will have following configuration with nine virtual machines –
Such farm configuration will help in testing higher client loads.
SharePoint Farm Set Up Requirements in Detail
Fulfillment of the essential requirements for successful SharePoint server installation initiates with getting following in place –
- 64-bit processors
- 64-bit operating system
The minimal operating system requirement is –
- Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1 or above
- Windows Server 2012
The minimum database server requirement though is SQL Server 2008 R2.
What are the Memory Requirements?
Installation of SharePoint to a large extent depends on the hardware memory. As recommended by Microsoft, the minimum memory required for a SharePoint server is 8GB of RAM.
As SharePoint is further dependent on the processor of the server, it also requires 4 CPUs at a minimum.
What are the Disk Space Requirements?
As recommended by Microsoft, the minimum disk space required for the system drive is 80 GB. Depending on the overall space all files will consume, it’s also pretty feasible to expand the disk space.
Microsoft SharePoint Products Preparation Tool – A Helpful Tool for SharePoint
Microsoft has made available the Microsoft SharePoint Products Preparation Tool that includes the media essential for the successful installation of SharePoint 2013.
Here is how you can run this Product preparation tool –
1. Create an MS SharePoint farm service account on the server in local administrator group.
This account would require local administrator access for controlling –
- Few selected services for SharePoint farm
- SharePoint User Profile Synchronization service application
2. Check for server updates, if any, on Microsoft Update. If updates are available, you need to install updates to fully ensure that the server is updated.
3. Run the Tool
It’s recommended that the above steps are performed under the supervision of a certified SharePoint administrator only. For more tips and advice, subscribe to our blog posts.
- Julia is Techarex Network’s Content Marketing Associate for Intuit products. She has worked as a B2B and Marketing Strategist for the last seven years, helping businesses with software implementation for Customer Service, CRM, and Email Marketing. Julia thrives in helping companies find the right software solution for their projects. Aside from his obvious passion for Marketing, Julia admits to being a foodie and travel enthusiast.
- Microsoft Sharepoint2018.03.30How to Select the Best between SharePoint Server and SharePoint Online
- SharePoint Hosting2018.03.22Avoid SharePoint Compliance Risk by implementing a Robust Information Governance Plan
- Dedicated Hosting2018.03.20Guide to Selecting the Best between Office 365 Hosting and Hosted Exchange
- QuickBooks2018.03.07Boost Up Your Accounting Performance with Managed QuickBooks Support Services