Scaling Database Applications in Cloud – Crucial Aspects Discussed
For scaling database applications in cloud, there are two different ways available with the developers.
- The first option is to scale out performance. For scaling out performance, one needs to increase the input of processing power. It can be achieved by putting in place more number of Virtual Machines (VMs), processor sockets, and additional servers. However, the option of scaling out performance has one shortcoming. It requires additional software licenses for its operation.
- Other way to scale performance is by scaling up performance. For this additional licensing fees may be charged. The process of scaling up performance includes several methods, such as scaling up application performance, using direct attached storage and adding more memory for caching.
The most popular storage solution these days is Solid State Drives (SSDs). Also, another option is to install all-flash solutions. Such solutions are most preferred as they support Quality of Service (QoS) making them efficient in working in a multi-tenant database as well.
For an application to give the best results, it becomes essential to have enough storage space. Especially for business-critical applications to outperform, it is highly recommended to engage a Min/Max/Burst approach to manage Input/ Output Operations per Second (IOPS).
For every volume to function efficiently, Min IOPS runs well. It assures its minimum level of performance. It guarantees its performance in all kinds of system conditions and application activities. However, to acquire maximum level of performance, Max IOPS must be used.
Today, there are numerous Cloud Service Providers providing services to scale out and scale up performance. However, only some of them can meet the requirements of a SaaS provider hosting a multi-tenant environment. So, before hiring any services from a CSP for managing your multi-tenant database, take in account some of the points given below:
- There must be storage QoS. It is essential as it checks the predictability and consistency of IOPS performance gains.
- Also, development or test environment must be there. It helps in distinguishing Solid State Drive (SSD) and Hard Disk Drives (HDD).
- Another important feature is Storage Encryption. It must ensure high performance and competent security checks.
- To get the benefit of all such features, it is best suggested to have hybrid architecture. It will incorporate efficient traits of public clouds as well as private clouds.
It is essential to scale the performance and the capability of an application. For cloud-hosted applications, you have multiple traditional as well as non-conventional options to scale the performance. The operation of mission-critical applications also enhances with its consistent scalability.
- QuickBooks2016.07.01QuickBooks 2016 : How to Select the Industry Type and Accounts
- Microsoft Sharepoint2016.06.30Microsoft’s SharePoint 2016: Awesome New Features Added For It’s Users
- QuickBooks2016.06.27How To Search and Edit Customers Records In QuickBooks 2016
- Microsoft Sharepoint2016.06.22Microsoft Announces Release Of iOS App For SharePoint